seeking motherboard w/ Fedora compatible sound, video

Danny Yee danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au
Wed Nov 25 08:38:53 UTC 2009

I'm looking for a socket 775 motherboard with onboard sound and video
that "just works" with Fedora.  The video has to drive a 1920x1200
monitor.

I have an Asus P5Q-VM, but the onboard Intel GM4500 video is flaky --
the screen freezes (except for mouse movement) occasionally, requiring
a reboot to clear it.  (Alternatively, what is a robust cheap video
card? -- It has to drive a 1920x1200 monitor, but I don't play games
so I don't really care about performance.)

And I've never been able to get the audio to work properly (I've never
been able to get Firefox and VLC to both work, with Firefox usually
just refusing to talk to pulseaudio).  The audio problem may not
be hardware-related, but I do have to rebuild alsa-drivers by hand
(after kernel upgrades) to get any sound at all, and not having to
do that would be a plus.

Danny.
  http://dannyreviews.com/ - one thousand book reviews
  http://wanderingdanny.com/ - travelogues + photos