screen background problem on F12

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Nov 25 13:53:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 08:39:39PM -0700, stan wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:19:58 -0500
> fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:22:05AM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> > > Hi all!
>
> > I can set a wallpaper and it disappears (i.e., reverts to the system
> > default) as soon as I change desktops or log off/on.
> >
> > Never did that on F11, why is it doing it now, and more importantly,
> > what do I do about it?
>
> I don't use this but decided to try it because of your post.  It failed
> just as you describe, F12 x86_64.
>
> According to the documentation, all that is necessary is to use make
> default.  Now, I wonder if somewhere in the background there isn't some
> sort of quiet authorization failure, because it does ask for the root
> password.  I took a quick look through logs (probably the wrong ones)
> and didn't see anything.

even when I choose "make default", and successfully (apparently) go thru
the authentication dialog, it still occurs.

now, this morning, I'm seeing new behavior. when I change the desktop it
still behaves as I describe, BUT... if I leave it alone and don't mess
with it, every few minutes the background changes as if it's changing
them periodically all by itself, but they STILL don't display at the
correct aspect ratio (and most of them have been scaled to be an exact
fit on the 1024x600 screen). As far as I can recall I've not chosen any
such behavior anywhere.

I have the feeling there's a "feature" somewhere I've tripped over
without realizing it.

> I suggest you open a bug against gnome at http://bugzilla.redhat.com

I may do that if I can't figure something out soon.

> > > And worse, the default image isn't the right size/shape, so it
> > > leaves big white borders on the left and right side of the
> > > screen. :(
>
> This isn't true on my computer, covers the screen.  In fact, I quite
> like the default image.

I seem to be getting the same default image I had in F11, not the image with
the grid of squares I saw in the F12 preview I've played with. maybe that's
a result of doing an upgrade instead of reinstall.

Thanks for the reply!
 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us