Part of hard disk disappeared after installing Fedora 12?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Nov 25 18:40:06 UTC 2009

Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> M. Fioretti wrote:
>

>> I don't understand what's
>> going on, because the disk is 350 GB.
>
> fdisk says the disk is 250GB and you have a 240GB sda2 partition.
>
>> Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
>> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>> Disk identifier: 0x000acea3
>>
>>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>> /dev/sda1   *           1          26      204800   83  Linux
>> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
>> /dev/sda2              26       30401   243991201   8e  Linux LVM
>
> sda2 is a pv (physical volume) of around 230GB, as you can see here.
>
>> [root at polaris ~]# pvdisplay
>>   --- Physical volume ---
>>   PV Name               /dev/sda2
>>   VG Name               vg_polaris
>>   PV Size               232.69 GB / not usable 673.00 KB
>
> 230/240/250 is all the same, as there are some confusing definitions
> of how big a gigabyte is.
>
> So, what is happening is that:
>
> - either the disk is 250GB and not 350GB (try "hdparm /dev/sda",
> "hdparm -i /dev/sda")
>
> - or the disk is 350GB but it is partitioned as if it were 250GB; this can happen
> if you copy an entire 250GB disk to a bigger one ("dd if=dev/sda of=/dev/sdb"),
> because you copy the partition table values which specify how big the disk is.
>
> Let's see what hdparm thinks.
> Model number + google search will tell us how big your disk really is.

Disks can have hidden partition, called the HPA (hardware protected area), there
are tools which will show that information, but I'm guessing that's not the
problem. I bet smart will say that's a 250GB drive.

If there really is an HPA, google for SleuthKit and use the stuff there to
investigate further.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>