Pulseaudio error message -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Nov 26 16:16:02 UTC 2009

On 25/11/09 20:09, stan wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:10:04 -0500
> Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net>  wrote:
>

>>      I don't have much need for sound but it usually works.
>>
>>      This is a new F-12 install from the livecd and it acts like the
>>      audio level is turned down somewhere although I haven't been able
>> to find it. I think I can hear some very faint sounds at times?.
>>
>>      One symptom is:[bobg at box6 ~]$
>> aplay /usr/share/sounds/purple/alert.wav
>>
>>          Home directory /home/bobg not ours.
>>          ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to
>>          connect: Connection refused
>>
>>          aplay: main:608: audio open error: Connection refused
>>
>>      When I try pavucontrol I get an error message:
>>
>>          "Connection failed: Connection refused"
>>

>>      I don't know what this is telling me, I know that I have changed
>>      anything related to sound. It worked with no problem in F-11
>>
>>      Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>>      Bob
>>

> Sure sounds like a permission problem.  It is acting like you are a
> different user than pulse was started with.  What happens if you set up
> a new user and try from there?

    I created a new user "bob" and he was able to get sound after
    changing some of the sound config's via the GUI for "Sound Preferences."

    It was set to "Analog Mono Output/Amplifier." Changing that to
    "Analog Output/Amplifier" got sound working for "bob" but not for me
    "bobg!"

    I've been checking permissions but obviously not the right ones or
    not recognizing the error? Pavucontrol still comes up with the same
    error message.

    Bob