changing GDM background image on F12

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Nov 28 02:42:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 07:27:32PM -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> > I've looked thru the forums and done some googling but I don't see an
> > answer THAT WORKS for this question:
> >
> > How to change the default GDM background/wallpaper to some other image?
> > I've tried all the things listed in the forums and none of them works,
> > including (but not limited to) copying the image I want into
> > /usr/share/backgrounds/images then running this command:
> >
> > gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --set --type string "/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename" "/usr/share/backgrounds/images/Fistmaster.FullHD.0190.jpg"
> >
> > having done that either log off or reboot and voila! no change at all! :(
>
> FWIW, it works for me, using one of the stock images.  It does require
> a restart of gdm (which rebooting surely would cover :).
>
> Perhaps the images you added has an SELinux context that gdm does not
> like?  Try a restorecon -rv "/usr/share/backgrounds/images" as well as
> verifying that the image has permissions which would let the gdm user
> read it.

all the images in that dir have the same owner and permissions.
selinux is not in enforcing mode, but I tried the command above anyway.
result: no change.

Is it possible that /usr/share/backgrounds/images isn't the right place?
there are several other dirs in /usr/share/backgrounds, so maybe I need
to try sticking it in other places.