Setting up a VM to run XP in an up-to-date F12 box?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 14:49:44 UTC 2009

Hiisi wrote:

> 2009/11/28 Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com>:
>> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Hiisi <very-cool at rambler.ru> wrote:
> <--SNIP-->
>>> Can you, virtualisation gurus, point me out how to set up shared
>>> folder in VirtualBox for guest Window$ XP? It looks like an easy task
>>> but I'm unable to see it anywhere from within guest system.
>>
>> You just need to install Guest Additions:

Interesting replies - thank you - but noticeable that the fedora provided
facility of kvm has been mentioned by no-one!

Additionally can you experts tell me whether you can use usbkeys in the VM,
and also whether or not there is communication out of the VM onto the
network interface?

Another point I am interested in is whether it is possible to drop a file
using the desktop file manager gui from Fedora into the XP VM window and
open the file in an app within the XP VM?  I am thinking of, for example,
taking a Word file and dropping it into the XP VM so that it opens in Word
2003, say, and has the full Windows edit facilities.  Or similar for an
excel file and have it utilise the Solver macro, or Analysis package within
the XP environment - so that if someone sends such a file in email then you
can get it from the email attachment in Fedora to the running application in
the VM in an easy way?

I'd like to know what the limits are for using the VM before going down the
road of setting it all up.

Additionally if anyone has used kvm how does qemu feature in this scheme -
is it needed at all for running an XP VM?

I can see that VirtualBox is recommended by people who have used it but I
would like to be able to compare VirtualBox with KVM in terms of not only
ease of setting up, but also performance and usability once it is set up.

Thanks.