root's ssh-agent $SSH_AUTH_SOCK

Martin Airs camberwell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 15:03:19 UTC 2009

On 11/28/2009 02:04 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 12:10:20AM +0000, Martin Airs wrote:
>
>> I've setup an authorized key for a server I regularly use, but when I tried
>> to run ssh-add as root, it wouldn't work until I had copied the
>> SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable from my normal user.
>>
> Wait, back up a second. Well, two seconds. First of all, off-topic on the
> devel list -- this should be moved to the regular fedora list. (Please
> direct replies there.) Second, why do you wnt to do this as the root user
> directly? There's probably a better way to accomplish what you want to do in
> the first place.

Sorry about that, my bad

There's no massive security risk going on, its all private use and
nothing critical
I managed to ssh into the server as my normal user with out asking me
for a password, which I thought was pretty nifty, so I thought i could
do the same as root is all.

oh well, I'll just su when i get in as normal user, not to worry

thanks anyway, and sorry for the noise on your devel list

Martin