How to get FlashPlayer working under 64bit/Fc11

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 19:27:05 UTC 2009

On Saturday 28 November 2009 17:22:05 Reg Clemens wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 November 2009 08:26:51 Reg Clemens wrote:
> > > Can someone PLEASE give me detailed instructions on how to get
> > > flash-player working on this machine, or point me as some (working)
> > > instructions on the web.
> >
> >   http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_64bit.html
> >
> Instead of getting a screen telling me to load flash-player, I just get
> an empty light-blue screen, and nothing happens.

I've never experienced anything remotely similar to an empty light-blue screen
in firefox. It reminds me of a bad setup of direct rendering in graphics
drivers, though. Like mplayer displaying a blue screen instead of a movie or
such. But nothing like that in a *browser*, ever.

> I have been testing with CNN news, which is the application I really
> want to use flash with.  There, I get the above behaviour with all video
> clips.  On youtube, mabe 1/2 or 1/3 of the video clips play, but the rest
> give the blue screen result.  I will assume that the ones that play are
> something other than flash.

I don't watch CNN news, but I fired it up now just to check my flash. Everything
seems to work, all clips and news, CNN Live streaming, etc... Live streaming
is a bit jerky, but I guess that's just because of the bandwidth and such.

Every clip on youtube that I tried works.

This bluescreen stuff is suspicious. What graphics card do you use? Drivers? Do
you have working 2D, 3D, xv in mplayer and such? Any issues with those?

> Any further thoughts on what I may have missed?

Try to use a different browser to test&compare? Konqueror, opera, or such?
Point them to the same flash plugin .so and try them out instead?

Or "yum remove firefox" followed by "yum install firefox" followed by
reinstalling the .so ?

Or create a new dummy user, log in and try it from there?

Btw, I'm on F12, 64bit. Maybe upgrade? Though firefox is the same version, I
guess it shouldn't matter...

HTH, :-)
Marko