Default keyring for NetworkManager

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 00:36:35 UTC 2009

On Sunday 29 November 2009 21:54:11 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Use seahorse to set a blank password on your keyring. If it won't let
> > you, delete your keyring completely. On the next login you'll be prompted
> > to create one, create it with a blank password.
>
> What can one do on a KDE system?
> As far as I can see, seahorse is a Gnome speciality.

Yes, but it won't hurt much. Do a "yum install seahorse" (it will have one or
two dependencies), use it to set an empty password, then "yum remove seahorse"
and its dependency, and you are done. :-)

> Would knetworkmanager be any help?

I tried it instead of nm-applet, but somehow didn't feel stable enough. Since
nm-applet was favored to knetworkmanager on the very KDE spin, I guess the
latter is not quite there yet. Besides, I got used to nm-applet, and it works
ok for me.

> This NetworkManager password business seems completely crazy to me.

The whole thing has nothing to do with NM itself. The issue is between nm-
applet and default keyring (Gnome) or knetworkmanager and kde wallet (KDE).
It's all about where to store the wireless keys and who can read them.

Best, :-)
Marko