ibus still broken

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Oct 2 21:08:14 UTC 2009

Tait Clarridge wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 15:32 -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> I asked here a few days ago about ibus
>> which broke after I did a yum update.
>>
>> No one responded but I saw some other posts
>> about different problems with ibus so I
>> waited until some new updates appeared.
>>
>> However after upgrading again just now, it
>> is still broken -- still no input editor
>> appears when I type the enable sequence.
>> However now the (new) ibus icon says "no
>> input window" when left-clicked.
>>
>> Is ibus ever going to work?  I write non-
>> english emails everyday and Fedora is
>> useless to me without a working ibus.
>> At this point I wonder if I should blow
>> off Fedora and and just return to Windows?
>>

> I can confirm that it has worked for me as of today on X86_64
>
> I did it last night on my i386 laptop by doing the following (found
> online).
>
> yum downgrade ibus-libs
> yum update
>
> Hope this helps

I believe that Stuart's problem is that once you break ibus it will never dig
its way out using only the 'upgrade' command, since something appears
half-updated. I did successful upgrades on a number of system after the problem,
but on the two systems which had an initial problem a simple upgrade fails. I
will try downgrading and see if that helps. One system will not do networking
since the upgrade failed, so I'm not sure what's up with that, it just broken.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>