snip extraneous quotes from your posts to the list, dammit

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Oct 2 21:44:13 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 September 2009 15:29:07 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Well if he had you wouldn't know about it would you? I know I've done it
>> on occasion. There is a point to sometimes complaining publicly: keeping
>> all complaints private sends the implicit message that no-one has a
>> problem with the objectionable behaviour.
>>
> It also makes it look as though the comment is aimed at one person, when
> usually it has built up over several messages.
>
> It would greatly help if people would remember that not all are fortunate
> enough to have unlimited cheap bandwidth.  This is not merely a politeness,
> but a necessity for those people.

The public comment generated 27 (so far) replies, which is a pretty good troll.
A single polite "would you" generates none, and will either work or not,
depending on the recipient, and is less likely to cause a defensive response.

Having been accused of trimming too much, and having my own posts trimmed so
someone can tell me something I included in the original post, I try to trim
lightly, although not THAT lightly.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>