[Bulk] Installing Windows afterFedora

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat Oct 3 02:15:29 UTC 2009

Hi;

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 19:19 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I have managed to go for just under a decade without a Windows machine, but now
> I need to have such, and I'd like to add it to an existing machine with a large
> enough partition which was used as work area for a project since shipped. The
> problem is that while I've put Fedora (and Linux back to SLS and Slackware on
> 2.2 kernels) on Windows machines, I haven't done it with anything else after,
> Linux has always been "the last OS you'll ever need" for dual boot.
>
> I'm not worried about the grub.conf, but the boot sector could be an issue, I
> have seen reports that XP with patches and Win7 check the boot sector now (XP at
> patch level 3). other than having to rewrite the boot sector, is that going to
> be an issue? Any other things I should know?

I have had the same problem.  What I did was make sure of the grub
instructions I wanted to use and wrote them down or printed them out --
just in case all else failed and I needed written notes.  I made sure
that I knew how to re-install using grub-install or grub or firstaid on
my Fedora LiveCD or the DVD disk.  Once I had protected myself, I just
installed WindowsXP and then re-installed grub.

It was fast and easy (well not installing Windows -- but you know what I
mean).

This you should double check, but if I remember correctly, you only need
to install Windows on the first partition if you are going to depend on
the Windows boot loader.  Otherwise, you can chainload Windows from any
partition as long has you correctly tell grub.conf where the windows
partition is.  e.g.

title Windows XP SP3
	rootnoverify (hd0,5)
	chainloader +1

if windows has been installed on the first disk, 6th partition.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3