[Bulk] Installing Windows afterFedora

Fabio Jara ronintekorei at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 14:05:18 UTC 2009

I have the same issue about windows, recently the university that i work
have buy a package of windows 7 and before that they have the windows Vista
and XP.

The internal system that they use here to manage all the database of
students work only on windows, so i put some effort into Virtual machine
work, and find out that it was the best solution to this issue, you can
install any windows ( at least in Fedora 11 i have tested ) and it works,
you have your own linux machine, you do not need to change to an OS that you
aren't used at.

Today, i have my Notebook HP with Fedora 11, and two Virtual Machines on it,
one with Windows XP and the other with Windows 7. An they work perfectly,
and the best side of it is that i have my Fedora :D ( yes, i'm in love with
Fedora ).

Hope my advice enlighten you to the good side of the force ( yes, that too )

My best regard.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:15 PM, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:

> Hi;
>
> On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 19:19 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > I have managed to go for just under a decade without a Windows machine,
> but now
> > I need to have such, and I'd like to add it to an existing machine with a
> large
> > enough partition which was used as work area for a project since shipped.
> The
> > problem is that while I've put Fedora (and Linux back to SLS and
> Slackware on
> > 2.2 kernels) on Windows machines, I haven't done it with anything else
> after,
> > Linux has always been "the last OS you'll ever need" for dual boot.
> >
> > I'm not worried about the grub.conf, but the boot sector could be an
> issue, I
> > have seen reports that XP with patches and Win7 check the boot sector now
> (XP at
> > patch level 3). other than having to rewrite the boot sector, is that
> going to
> > be an issue? Any other things I should know?
> >

> I have had the same problem.  What I did was make sure of the grub
> instructions I wanted to use and wrote them down or printed them out --
> just in case all else failed and I needed written notes.  I made sure
> that I knew how to re-install using grub-install or grub or firstaid on
> my Fedora LiveCD or the DVD disk.  Once I had protected myself, I just
> installed WindowsXP and then re-installed grub.
>
> It was fast and easy (well not installing Windows -- but you know what I
> mean).
>
> This you should double check, but if I remember correctly, you only need
> to install Windows on the first partition if you are going to depend on
> the Windows boot loader.  Otherwise, you can chainload Windows from any
> partition as long has you correctly tell grub.conf where the windows
> partition is.  e.g.
>
> title Windows XP SP3
>        rootnoverify (hd0,5)
>        chainloader +1
>
> if windows has been installed on the first disk, 6th partition.
>

> --
> Regards Bill
> Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3
> Evo.2.26.3, Emacs 23.1.1
>
> --

Fabio Jara.
Universidad Privada del Este - Paraguay.
IT Manager.
Fedora Ambassador for Paraguay.