Fedora Firewall with multiple public IPs

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Oct 3 19:17:06 UTC 2009

Gabriel - IP Guys wrote:
> Thank you for taking the time to read my message.
>

> I wish to build a fedora box that will take control of all my ADSL
> connections – I use 2 ADSL modems with Ethernet connections, and
> multiple public static IPs on each. I wish for my internal network to
> only see one gateway, and have the gateway determine which route is the
> best route based on traffic type, and route availability.
>

> As far as I'm concerned, it should follow these ‘basic’ rules
>

> ·         All traffic goes via my unlimited connection (with the
> exception of)
>
> ·         Email – Goes via an SMTP relay for one of our providers, which
> has been added to our DNS
>
> ·         SIP traffic goes via the same provider, as they provide a rock
> solid connection
>

> If my A1 provider is absent for any reason, then use my B1 provider,
> until A1 comes backup. Any ideas, and suggestions will be appreciated J

Make the cheap unlimited ISP the default route, use the mangle table to MARK the
connections you want to go through the other ISP, then use a source route based
on the MARK to force the packets out the non-default interface. Use the nat
table to SNAT the marked packets to the correct source address.

I do that at several sites.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>