Preventing ConsoleKit from interrupting audio when switching consoles.

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1 303 722 7209 wacker at octothorp.org
Sun Oct 4 03:59:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, William F. Acker WB2FLW +1 303 722 7209 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     I use speech output for reading the screen.  Currently, I'm using espeak
> compiled to use portaudio.  Whenever I switch consoles, I have to wait a few
> seconds for audio output to resume.  I understand that ConsoleKit is
> responsible for the delay while it figures out if I'm the same user and
> should be allowed to use the audio device.
>
>     If anyone knows how to disable this behavior, or knows fore sure that
> ConsoleKit can't be configured to accomplish this, I'd really like to hear
> about it.  With respect, what I don't need to hear about is how desirable
> folks think the current behavior is and how I should learn to love it too.
>
>     Pulseaudio won't help either, until it can be made to run system-wide.
>
>          TIA.
>

> --
>          Bill in Denver

      For anyone who runs into this in the future, I found a clumsy
workaround.  After logging into all the consoles and the GUI, one can just
do: killall console-kit-daemon.  Something restarts it, but without the
ugly behavior.  If a console is accidentally logged out of and then logged
back in, it's just necessary to re-kill the troublesome daemon.

           Hope this helps someone.

--
           Bill in Denver