thunderbird 3b4 accounts problem

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Sun Oct 4 15:13:17 UTC 2009

On 10/04/2009 06:39 AM, Paul Smith wrote:

>> unfortunately compactheader doesn't work correctly with 3b4 ;(
>
> And, by the way, does TB 3b4 work fine with the IMAP protocol?
>
> Paul

  Summary
   Imap is fine.
   Turn of global indexing.
   Choose which folders you want tb to store for itself - it stores them
all by default.

  Details.

  Imap works yes - tho I have heard of some with problems - I have found
there seem to be some nasty quirks/bugs associated with GLODA - I turn
it off on all my computers (Preferences->Advances->Enable Global Search).

  I have found the indexing either messes up or never completes (after
11 hours on x64 anyway) - it slows things down and I have no interest in
co-mingling my searches across email accounts. - so the design idea is
just silly IMHO. (I am not a fan of smart folders for similar reasons).

  Also, GLODA demands a local (thunderbird stored mbox format ugh) copy
of all mail. You will need to go through carefully and deslect any
folders (one by one sadly) you dont want duplicate copies stored by
thunderbird.

  Since I keep copies of whatever I want on a local imap server for my
local storage (so I am indifferent to mail client) I have zero interest
in yet another copy of all my emails and saved emails stored in a slow,
bad, buggy format which requires me to keep pressing compact every other
day. While my laptop drive is large, another 5 GiB of duplicate copies
is silly as well.

  I have also switched to using the 32 bit version on my x86_64 installs
- in fact I am now using the nightly build of 3.0pre from mozilla.org.
Tho I am not 100% convinced there are 64 bit problems or not - and the
TB devs dont seem sure if there are or are not either.