F11 and CD Failure

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sun Oct 4 20:11:07 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 14:00 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> I wish giving a command were the case.  In fact when I try to mount
> using a konsole interface with a user different than root I get :
>
> mount /dev/sr0 /media/cd
> mount: only root can do that
>
> If I watch what happens on a different fedora installation the mounting
> directory is created and the lock files are created in the /media
> directory.  On this new install of F11 neither of those occur.
>
> Since I can mount with the root account but am unable to mount with any
> other user account do you think looking at mount's security is where I
> should look.  I turned off selinux and rebooted for grins, but that did
> not make a difference either.
>
> hal is recognizing the new CD for sure, but it just is not mounting it
> when it is recognized.
>
> Thank you again for your help if you have any other thoughts ......
----
Only root can issue the mount command - nothing has changed that. You're
wasting your time trying to do that as any other user.

Now that I know you are using KDE...

Right click the task bar, Add widgets and add 'Device Notifier' widget
if you don't have it already. That is what you use to 'mount' a CD

Craig

Craig,

Sorry, if I mislead you, I have setup gnome on this machine.  I created
some perl scripts that mount and unmount the cd so It works with some
user control, but not automatically like it should.

Greg