F11 and CD Failure

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Oct 6 21:29:32 UTC 2009

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> I tried this on F9, it does not seem to work:
>>
>> # mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sr0 /media/cd
>> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
>>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>>        dmesg | tail  or so
>>
> Yoour type was wrong. Are audio CDs for example iso99660?

The man pages says only:  iso9660 is available, so I used this one.

In any case, I tried it to see what it does:
# mount -t iso99660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /media/cd
mount: unknown filesystem type 'iso99660'
mount: maybe you meant 'iso9660'?

>> Interestingly,  removing the CD from the drive results:
>> # mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sr0 /media/cd
>> mount: No medium found
>>
> Is yoour CD drive /dev/sro or /dev/sr1?

See below...  there are TWO CD/DVD devices!
>> Note: /dev/cdrom does not work.  I tried this for both
>> of my CD CD/DVD drives and I note that the devices
>> respectively are: /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1
>>
>> # mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /media/cd
>> mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist
>>
> You have no /dev/cdrom it looks like.
Yes, no /dev/cdrom and since I have a CD device and a
CD/DVD device, this is what I see:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2009-10-06 06:49 /dev/cdrom2 -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2009-10-06 06:49 /dev/cdrom6 -> sr1

Is the reason I have no /dev/cdrom because there is no possible
way to determine which device will have /dev/cdrom?