Mounting CDs -repost

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 23:56:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 03:10:02PM -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 10/06/2009 03:00 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > On 10/06/2009 01:52 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >
> >> REPOST TO CORRECT MISSPELLIING IN SUBJECT LINE
> >> ===================================================
> >>
> >> Look people, it is time we speak rationally about the mounting CDs and
> >> Playing CDs problem. These problems have appeared on the list for at
> >> least 3 months and we have gotten only a few truths out of the question.
> >>
> >> Somewhere among the developer(s) there is someone who knows how the
> >> system decides what too do with a CD and how that doing is controlled.
> >> But that person(s) doesn't evidently read the list and has never cleared
> >> this up even after several bugzillas. So if anyone know how to get the
> >> correct developer to reply pleas share that with us or with the
> >> developer(s).
> >>
> >> But somethings we know and some wrong information is floating
> >> around.This is not a Hal problem. It is a udev problem.
> >>
> >> If anyone on a 586 system who is having a problem with audio (and
> >> probably video ) CDs being played butt not producing an icon on the
> >> desktop, that problem has been solved. I have posted the solution at
> >> least twice on the list but I would be glad to post it again:
> >> Note: this has only been tested in GNOME and does not work on 686
> >> systems
> >>
> >> in bugzilla # 513495
> >> Aram Agajanian poses a solution for the Audio CD problem and it works.
> >>
> >> First you get udev-141-4.fc11.src.rpm from the link below.
> >>
> >> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/udev/141/4.fc11/src/udev-141-4.fc11.src.rpm
> >>
> >> Get the spec file with rpm -i udev-141-4.fc11.src.rpm
> >>
> >> Remove patch4 from the spec file by commenting it out.
> >> Do a rpmbuild -bp then a rpmbuild -bb
> >> Install the files created (not the devel files) udev, udev-static
> >> libudev0 and libvolume_id
> >>
> >> Reboot and the Audio CD icon is back.
> >>
> >> Further problems will have to  be addressed by a develper who is
> >> responsible for the udev code.
> >> --
> >> =======================================================================
> >> You will give someone a piece of your mind, which you can ill afford.
> >> =======================================================================
> >> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net
> >>
> >> --
> >> =======================================================================
> >> I despise the pleasure of pleasing people whom I despise.
> >> =======================================================================
> >> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net
> >>

> > Ugh,
> >
> > I got the following problem:
> >
> > $ rpmbuild -bp udev.spec
> > error: Failed build dependencies:
> >     libselinux-static is needed by udev-141-4.fc11.src
> >     libsepol-static is needed by udev-141-4.fc11.src
> >
> > What next?
> >
> DuhOh!
>
> Simple answer:
> [...]

By the way, with a well-made RPM, you can use 'yum-builddep <SRPM>'.
So you could do:

$ rpmbuild -bs udev.spec
$ sudo yum-builddep udev-<version>-<release>.src.rpm

This will automatically install all build dependencies needed to build
the binary RPM.  By the way, you can safely use --nodeps with
'rpmbuild -bp' because the %prep stage should merely be uncompressing
any code archive files, and applying patches.