grub.conf options [redux]

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Oct 8 03:36:52 UTC 2009

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 15:09 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Where are they documented?
>
>> In particular:
>>       * What does the quiet option do?
>>       * How can I get the system to display messages during shutdown?
>>         rhgb suppresses messages during bootup.  Is there a similar
>>         option for shutdown?  If so what is it?
>>       * In my grub.conf, timeout=5.  Nevertheless the grub starts the
>>         boot process after 3 seconds.  What am I missing?
>>

> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 19:00 -0500, Mikkel wrote:

>> You may want to run "pinfo grub" - it will open the Grub info file.
>> If you do not have pinfo installed, you can run "info grub".
>>

> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 22:28 +0000, g wrote:

>> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/
>>

> I have looked at both of these places carefully.  They are both versions
> of the same document, which answers none of my questions.  More info is
> solicited.

The "quiet" and "rhgb" options are not part of grub.

With, I believe F11, the bootup displays are controlled via Plymouth as
specified on the kernel boot line.   Have a look at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup.

I'll leave it to you to find the Plymouth documentation.  :-)

Basically, "rhgb" means "Red Hat Graphical Boot".  Prior to Plymouth all
boot messages would be presented in graphical mode with it on the kernel
line.  If not there, it will be text.  With rhgb and quiet defined you
wouldn't see any boot process messages unless an error occurs.  FWIW, I
don't know how, with Plymouth, to get the display process to show boot
messages in graphics mode when no errors exist.  To boot, pun intended,
I just started an F11 instance of a VM with the network card
disconnected and while I expected to see the "FAILED" when the network
attempted to start that did not happen either.  (I may have to learn
more about Plymouth to decide if that is a bug).

As for you last question...  Are you saying that you see it counting
down from 3~0 or 5~0 but in 2 seconds?  I have seen it when I only catch
the countdown from 3~0 but that is a function of my monitor being slow
to respond.

--
It's multiple choice time... What is FORTRAN? a: Between thre and fiv
tran. b: What two computers engage in before they interface. c: