Printing considered hard?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Oct 8 15:54:37 UTC 2009

Christoph Höger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am sitting here in my new office and want to print from my fedora 11
> machine. Epic fail.
>
> I just had to add ServerName and Encryption to /cups/client.conf and the
> basic tools (lpr) work. But printing from firefox is impossible (print
> dlg. freezes) and setting up this config from the printer dialog is
> impossible to (connect to server shows the printers but everytime I
> select one I get a connection error without further information).
>
> How is one supposed to print in todays fedora?

With ease I suspect.....

I hadn't a printer configured on an F11 system.  I've got the following
bits....

F11  at  192.168.40.129
HP PSC 2510 at 192.168.0.10

I can ping the HP from the F11.

On the F11 brought up FF and went to http://localhost:631 and went
through the dialog to add a printer.  I then printed a test page and
then printed a page from FF and then printed a page from TBird.

Got all of this going in less than 5 minutes, I think....

FWIW, my client.conf file is totally empty.  Not even sure what that is
used for...maybe I'll check it out.

--
If you have never been hated by your child, you have never been a
parent. -- Bette Davis Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7