kickstart -- refreshing rpm's.

Tait Clarridge tait at clarridge.ca
Fri Oct 9 12:54:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 08:25 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Tait Clarridge wrote:
> > All you need to do is look at the %post section of the kickstart
> > file
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > %post
> >
> > /usr/bin/yum -y update >> /root/post_install_update.log 2>&1
> >
> > This will update the system without you having to do anything and
> > log what it has done for your viewing pleasure.
>
> The disadvantage to this is that it will download a lot more data than
> is needed if you pull the initial install source as well as the
> updates.  And it takes up a good bit of time if there are a lot of
> updates.  Having anaconda only install the latest packages speeds
> things up and saves on bandwidth. :)

This is true, I was just giving him a quick and dirty way to try. I
would NEVER do this from home unless I wanted to say goodbye to my
monthly bandwidth allowance, I was using it from work and we have very
fasts speeds to some of our local mirrors.

VM install of CentOS 5.3 + updates ~ 10 mins.. so I didn't think that
was too shabby.