Gnome or KDE - why not ask?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 20:29:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 11:09 -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The perennial "if you don't like it then fix the problem yourself or
> > just shut up" is what gets very old, as do witty paraphrases such as
> > "you can always return it for a full refund". So only seasoned
> > developers get to have an opinion and the rest of us can just take what
> > we get and be thankful? I don't think so.
>
> Everyone certainly gets to have an opinion.
>
> The KDE thing is very old.  The difference, however, is that the KDE
> people within Fedora are, always saying "please, come help us", and
> all anyone wants to do is complain about how things aren't the way
> they think they should be.
>
> File bug reports.  Help with translations. Do whatever.
>
> No one wants to.

Depends where you look. Not everything is on this list, for example the
Fedora-KDE list is full of people making bug reports and try to help
however they can (and griping and asking questions like they do here of
course; that's what lists are for). I've filed a good 6 or 7 reports in
the past year or so.

However filing a bug report on a KDE app has no effect whatever on the
general Gnome-based policy of Fedora. Once again: I understand this and
don't expect it to change because I believe the state of the art in
Linux desktops simply hasn't reached a point where a distro can be both
genuinely DE-neutral and fully functional. The freedesktop people are
doing what they can and a lot of progress has been made, but there's a
long way to go.

Platforms where you don't get a choice don't have this problem of
course. They have other problems instead.

poc