Gnome or KDE - why not ask?

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 23:21:55 UTC 2009

> On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 17:18 -0400, David wrote:
>> As for Fedora being a GNOME *based* disto? Many, most?, of the Fedora
>> configuration *applications* are written in the same GTK that GNOME is
>> written in but Fedora runs just fine with only a KDE, or other,
>> Desktop installed and without a GNOME Desktop installed at all. You
>> will, of course, still see some libs and such as they are needed by
>> the system applications. But no GNOME Desktop will be installed, or be
>> available to run, *if* you tell the installer not to install a GNOME
>> Desktop.
>
> I don't think that contradicts anything I've said. The fact that "system
> applications" need parts of a specific DE (even if no actual desktop is
> installed) means that the distro is not DE-neutral, and once again, I
> don't expect it to be in the current state of the art.

One more time. The GTK2 that is used to write the system applications is
GTK2. A programing language platform. No more and no less.

KDE is written in QT4. None of the system applications that I can think
of now are written in QT4. None that I know of anyway. Not in Fedora.
Not in any other distribution that I can think of at the moment. Not one.

At this very moment I can think of three other major distrobutions that
install KDE only. Period. They *do not* install a GNOME Desktop at all
unless you tell the installer to do that. None of them. Not a one. Will
you see GTK2 'stuff' on then? Darn straight you will. All of them.

Which means you need to convince the KDE folks to reinvent the wheel and
write system configuration applications in QT4. And then you need to
convince some, any, distribution to change their entire system
configuration and to use the new files and to not use what they have
used for years. All so that you can have a GTK free install without any
of 'that nasty GNOME crap' installed.

Good luck with that.  :-)

And it is not just the system files either. Some tiny application that
you use will need the libs and *pow* there goes your pristine, KDE only,
system.

Have a nice night.
--

  David