Gnome or KDE - why not ask?

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 01:01:48 UTC 2009

> On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 19:21 -0400, David wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think that contradicts anything I've said. The fact that "system
>>> applications" need parts of a specific DE (even if no actual desktop is
>>> installed) means that the distro is not DE-neutral, and once again, I
>>> don't expect it to be in the current state of the art.
>>

>> One more time. The GTK2 that is used to write the system applications is
>> GTK2. A programing language platform. No more and no less.
>
> The very first sentence on http://www.gtk.org/ is: "GTK+ is a highly
> usable, feature rich toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces
> which boasts cross platform compatibility and an easy to use API."
>
> OK, so my question is *not*, as you seem to think, "why do I have to use
> this when I prefer KDE?", but "why do system applications need this if
> they don't have a graphical user interface?".
>
> [...]
>
>>  All so that you can have a GTK free install without any
>> of 'that nasty GNOME crap' installed.
>
> You seem to have gotten it into your head that I have some problem with
> Gnome. If you look back at this thread I think you'll realize that this
> is entirely imaginary.

Marc Wilson said it much better than I have.

The applications have to be written in 'something'. These happen to be
written in GTK. And my point was that that does not make Fedora a GNOME
distribution. It appears to me that Fedora *chooses* to be a GNOME
Desktop default distro.

As for your personal feeling about GNOME? Your business. Your choice.

--

  David