Gnome or KDE - why not ask?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 11 03:54:47 UTC 2009

> I just dislike the idea that a functional system, even in these
> conditions, has to have certain DE-derived libraries or apps to work
> properly. Given that these libraries and apps are specific to one DE,
> that means the distro is not DE-neutral.

"system apps" don't use GTK depending on your definition of a system
application. Many desktop apps use GTK (and several others uses QT or
some other toolkit) and that doesn't make them desktop environment at
all.  GTK apps are written for GNOME, Xfce, LXDE etc which is a very
clear demonstration of the fact that GTK apps are not desktop
environment specific.

Rahul