Position about Mono

Julian Aloofi julian.fedoralists at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 12 12:56:27 UTC 2009

Am Montag, den 12.10.2009, 13:19 +0200 schrieb davide:
> Hi guys,
> I would like to know the RedHat's postion (and Fedora's -if
> different-) about Mono.
> I don't want to start a flame. I'm asking because I've read in some
> blogs (sorry, lost pointers) that Fedora wish to stay Mono-free, and
> someone shows the gnote as tomboy replacement as a proof.
>
> I tried to look for Mono-policy and discussion in Fedora wiki, but not luck.

I'm afraid you won't get any kind of "official statement" or something
like this. Gnote was chosen over Tomboy because it uses fewer resources
and doesn't pull in the Mono dependencies for the LiveCD (saving space).
As you can see there are Mono packages in the repository, so there's no
urgent wish to stay Mono-free. Mono was accepted in Fedora when the Open
Invention Network covered it, if there was any wish to keep Fedora
Mono-free this wouldn't have happened.
I guess you'd rather discuss this with some guys of the Mono SIG if this
answer wasn't satisfying, or we are likely going to get a 50+ posts Mono
discussion :)
Best regards,
Julian