root mail [SOLVED]

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 17:23:35 UTC 2009

On 10/12/2009 03:35 AM, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Konstantin Svist kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika maanantai,
> 12. lokakuuta 2009):
>>
>> I don't want the localhost mail to go out through a real smtp
>> server, and I'm not too keen on running a huge mailing package
>> like sendmail or postfix on my laptop. What are my options?
>
> Use esmtp, it handles local mail delivery in addition to sending
> mail to upstream servers. It's available in Fedora, "yum install
> esmtp". For documentation see:
> http://esmtp.sourceforge.net/doc.html

Thanks, I think that works.

Here's what I did:

* install esmtp-local-delivery (it installs procmail)
* edit /etc/esmtprc to include this line:
mda "procmail -d <user>"
(where <user> is my underprivileged username)

Esmtp does't use aliases, but by lucky coincidence the user is specified
right there in the procmail command line :)