kickstart -- refreshing rpm's.

stan gryt2 at q.com
Tue Oct 13 04:04:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:35:36 -0700 (PDT)
Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just tried a test install with the iso that the procedure generated
> - it installed just fine - BUT it does not seem to have pulled in the
> latest updates and seems pretty much the same as the original - so I
> must have missed a step somewhere - I had not done a build since F10
> and I don't know where I missed a trick in my notes!
>
> Possibly the pungi build command needs a parameter somewhere?

I have been trying to get this working, and have succeeded in getting
to the -B or -I stage.  I then get an error about treeinfo not found by
pypungi or pungipy.  I am trying to customize heavily the packages that
appear on the CDs (instead of DVD, using CD for old i586, F11 is last
Fedora supporting i586) and that could be the problem. The packages
appear to be the latest.  I use the repos as follows

repo --name=f11-rel --mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-11&arch=i386
repo --name=f11-rel-src --mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-source-11&arch=i386
repo --name=f11-upd --mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f11&arch=i386
repo --name=f11-upd-src --mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-source-f11&arch=i386

# rpmff = rpmfusionfree, rpmfn = rpmfusionnonfree

repo --name=rpmff --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-11&arch=i386
repo --name=rpmff-src --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-source-11&arch=i386
repo --name=rpmfn --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-11&arch=i386
repo --name=rpmfn-src --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-source-11&arch=i386
repo --name=rpmff-updates --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-11&arch=i386
repo --name=rpmff-updates-src --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-source-11&arch=i386
repo --name=rpmfn-updates --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-11&arch=i386
repo --name=rpmfn-updates-src --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-source-11&arch=i386

in the kickstart file.  It definitely pulled in the latest kernel, and
I see it grabbing repomd files when it starts, so it should be using
the latest.  It would be so much easier if it used the repos from
the /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory, but it ignores them.  I'm not sure why
pungi isn't using yum to do the downloads since it is installed and it
works fine from the chroot shell.  Maybe it is.  If so, I don't
understand why it doesn't just use the configured repos.

The whole process is so opaque once the downloads are complete that it
is difficult to know what is happening.  I see cpu being used, I see
programs running, I see downloads happening, but I can't track the
progress. If worst comes to worst, I'll put the rpms on media and use a
live CD to install a basic setup, then update from the CDs.

I have a couple of changes to your instructions.

Instead of mkdir to make a copy of /var/lib/mock I used
cp -r --preserve=all /var/lib/mock <path-to-work-area>/mock

And you had a typo in your instruction to begin the mock process.
Instead of cd /opt/spins it should be cd /opt/Local/mock;  at least
that is what I did and it worked, changing /opt/Local to my
<path-to-work-area>.

Your suggestion of installing vim was a good one as it let me edit the
kickstart file in place.

I got a lot farther with your instructions than I did before.  I think
I am at the ISO creation stage, and it is choking because I didn't do
something that it wants.  I'm not sure what the purpose of treeinfo is.
I'll keep plugging away.  Maybe I'll just create a liveCD for practice,
or create the default Fedora configuration.

I'm not on the F11 system right now as I am based in F12 mostly these
days, but I think I used pretty much your pungi build line, except I
took out the --nosplitmedia because I'm building CDs and I added
--nodebuginfo and --force because of all the restarts I have done.  I
tried adding --selfhosting to get around the treeinfo issue, no dice.
I see --fulltree, but I think that requires a source build so I won't
be trying that.  I'll look in the pungi source to see if I can find any
clue to why it is complaining (or some quick and dirty hack to bypass
the error :-0  ).