Flash Problem in Firefox

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Oct 13 11:26:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Mike Dwiggins wrote:

> Aioanei Rares wrote:
> > Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> > > I am trying to run up new install of Fedora 11.  I go into Firefox
> > > 3.5.3-1.fc11 and attempt to run a YouTube vid.  I get a message stating
> > > that I either have JavaScript disabled or I do not have the latest
> > > version of Flash.
> > >
> > > I then downloaded and installed via  rpm -Uvh
> > > flash-plugin-10.0.32.18-release.i386.rpm.  I also insured that Java and
> > > JavaScript were enabled.
> > >
> > > Now when I go to YouTube I get the same message I started with.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > Is your system 32- or 64-bit?
> >
> It is 64 bit, is that possibly the problem.  This install is new
> enough I could start from scratch.

  i have a 64-bit f11 system running flash nicely:

1) get the tarball from
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

2) unload it to get at the single libflashplayer.so file contained
therein

3) as root, copy that file to /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins

4) kill and restart all firefoxes

5) browse to "about:plugins" to verify that your browser can see the
flash plugin

6) surf over to youtube.com, and rock out to "we built this city" by
starship.

  no, wait ... that last part can't be right.

rday

p.s.  hang on ... i just checked and here's the contents of my
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins_wrapped directory:

./plugins-wrapped
./plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_64_64.libvlcplugin.so
./plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_64_64.libflashplayer.so
./plugins-wrapped/librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so
./plugins-wrapped/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
./plugins-wrapped/npwrapper.so
./plugins-wrapped/libjavaplugin.so
./plugins-wrapped/libtotem-mully-plugin.so
./plugins-wrapped/libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
./plugins-wrapped/libtotem-cone-plugin.so

  i'd never noticed that content before.  do i really need that
"nswrapper" stuff related to flash?  i don't recall installing that,
where did it come from?  can i safely toss some of that? because my
"about:plugins" sees *that* plugin.  that's new to me, but flash still
appears to work.  weird.