comparison of gnote to tomboy is confusing.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 13 19:16:20 UTC 2009

On 10/13/2009 07:14 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Someone recently mentioned gnote as a substitute for tomboy. So I
> installed it. The two programs have essentially identical man pages. If
> you add gnote to your panel you get the same icon as tomboy. Executing
> both of then you get the same display. But looking at the program in
> the /usr/bin directory gnote is much larger. I looked at the script for
> tomboy and gnote is  not mentioned. But tomboy appears throughout the
> binary gnote.
>
> So, what is the scoop about these two programs?

The size of either of these programs are fairly similar. The size for
Gnote installed on my system is 4.1 MB vs 4.8 MB for Tomboy. You should
also note that Tomboy pulls is a considerable amount of the Mono stack.

Gnote is a port/fork of Tomboy from Mono to C++

http://lwn.net/Articles/331187/

Look up $yum info gnote tomboy for more details.

Rahul