Mount options for external drive

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 19:31:18 UTC 2009

Andy Campbell wrote:

> So it all working, except I was looking for ways for
setting mount options
> i.e noatime, nodiratime.  Is it possible ?

I had the same problem with a USB drive that plagued me
for a couple of years.

I finally solved the problem for myself a couple of
weeks ago:

/bin/mount -t ext4 -o remount,otheroption,anotheroption
/dev/sdc5 /media/automountpoint

Basically, this unmounts and then remounts the drive
using the default, I believe *plus* the indicated
options (assuming they do not over-ride the defaults, I
guess).

I believe you don't have to specify both the /dev and
/media, but you can. mount is smart enough to figure it
out, as once I had my camera mounted, then un-mounted
it, but the system had still reserved sdc5, so the USB
drive became sdd5, but the command still worked.

Read man mount for more very informative and helpful
information.