comparison of gnote to tomboy is confusing.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Oct 14 00:45:18 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/14/2009 02:53 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

>>> The size of either of these programs are fairly similar. The size for
>>> Gnote installed on my system is 4.1 MB vs 4.8 MB for Tomboy. You should
>>> also note that Tomboy pulls is a considerable amount of the Mono stack.
>>>
>> That is not the situation on my mazchine:
>> [akonstam at localhost bin]$ ls -l gnote tomboy
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1904064 2009-07-14 17:45 gnote
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    1143 2009-07-01 11:03 tomboy
>>
>> So somethiong is very different on my machine than your machine. Can you
>> explain this?
>>

> I don't see what is different. You are looking at ONE binary size. I am
> looking at the RPM size (and installed size) on the whole.

Actually, if you look closer you'd see that of the above only one is a
binary....

[root at f11 bin]# file gnote tomboy

gnote:  ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, stripped

tomboy: a bash script text executable

Talk about comparing apples to oranges....

But....I think the key thing Aaron is missing is simply...

Gnote is a port of Tomboy to C++.

--
Goto, n.: A programming tool that exists to allow structured programmers
to complain about unstructured programmers. -- Ray Simard Guess Who!