Mount options for external drive

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Wed Oct 14 03:46:42 UTC 2009

Andy Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:34:39 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
>
>> PS: Also, I have no entry for the drive in fstab.
>
> Yeah I'd sort of figured that out - guess I can put in some sort
> of cron-ed script to remount.  Just though with all this HAL/DeviceKit
> stuff going on you might be able to set parameters for a fs.

You used to be able to do that by writing rules in a local .fdi file
for HAL, but that hasn't worked for quite some time now.  The mount
options are now set by gnome-mount, and the Gnome developers
apparently feel that mount options should not be exposed to the
user or system administrator.  So, the only way to specify mount
options now is in /etc/fstab, and that requires adding an entry
for each and every device you want to mount.  You can't have a rule
that matches by device class, and all the mount point directories
must already exist.  Yes, an fstab entry that matches by device,
LABEL, or UUID will override all mount parameters.  You will need
to include the "user" or "users" option, and almost certainly the
"noauto" option.

                 Do NOT delete it.