iptables on FC11

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 14 08:39:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 22:21 +0200, paul van der meij wrote:
> I was misled by an internet suggestion that nmap was a good tool to
> check iptables configuration, but that is not true.

Depends on how you're using it...  It's commonly used on one computer to
probe another computer.  If you try to run it on the same machine that
you want to probe, that might give you some peculiar results.

> iptables -L gives the correct information

nmap tells you what it finds, iptables -L tells you how it's configured.
It's easy enough to have conflicting iptables rules, or additional rules
that modify prior ones.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686