F11 on an Acer Aspire 6930 laptop

Ambrogio fn050202 at interfree.it
Thu Oct 15 12:25:55 UTC 2009

Il giorno gio, 15/10/2009 alle 06.42 -0400, lanas ha scritto:

> I did the install on sda5, with a swap on sda6.  I did not resize
> the Windows partition and left sda1, 2 and 3 alone.  GRUB was
> installed on sda5.  After the Fedora 11 install, the GRUB menu
> shows and I can start Fedora.  That's fine but, Windows will not
> start if I choose the 'Other' option of the GRUB menu.  Instead,
> after a brief screen showing 'Microsoft ... loading files 'the
> Acer eRecovery management app shows up with exit as the only
> option (I presume because it does not see an of the recovery
> DVD).  After exit, the laptop reboots.

You have to change the grub.conf file in /etc, because the installer
imagine that windows is installed in the first partition of your disk.

But in the first partition there is the recovery partition from acer.

So, where you have
title Other
        rootnoverify (hd0,?)
        chainloader +1
you have to replace the ? with the right partition.
I imagine that is 2 but you have to try

You can also duplicate the entry and rename
Other -> Recovery partition
Windows -> the new added entry

the only difference between the 2 entries is the ?

Bye
 Ambrogio