e1000e unstable on a new board

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Oct 16 06:47:46 UTC 2009

On 10/15/2009 11:33 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Whatever changes you made to your BIOS settings to bring out this
> problem....please keep them secret.  We wouldn't want anyone else to
> miss out on the chance to experience the same adventure.  :-) :-)

Well, since you asked so nicely I stayed up several more hours and
tinkered with it. It will be no surprise to anyone here what the culprit
was -- ACPI. Changing from ACPI 2.0 to 3.0 in the BIOS causes it. Simply
changing back to 2.0 is not good enough either. You have to completely
power off and back on to have a stable system again.