python error with yum on F11

Mark Perew mperew at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 01:18:05 UTC 2009

I just started getting the following error from yum:

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   cannot import name Popen

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.6 (r26:66714, Jun  8 2009, 16:07:26)
[GCC 4.4.0 20090506 (Red Hat 4.4.0-4)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

Popen is supposed to be provided by subprocess.py, and I've confirmed that
class Popen is in the /usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py module.  I don't see
anything helpful on the website above, or in a google search, or in pinging
a few helpful associates.  Any guidance from this community will be
appreciated.

Thanks.