python error with yum on F11

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Tue Oct 20 05:17:45 UTC 2009

Hello Mark,

On 10/20/2009 06:48 AM, Mark Perew wrote:

> Popen is supposed to be provided by subprocess.py, and I've confirmed
> that class Popen is in the /usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py module.  I
> don't see anything helpful on the website above, or in a google search,
> or in pinging a few helpful associates.  Any guidance from this
> community will be appreciated.

I think you might have (possibly inadvertently) messed up your python installation.

Check the following:
$ python --version          # should show you Python 2.6
$ python -c "import sys; print sys.path"
     # This should show you the places that python would look for modules such
as Popen. It ideally should include '/usr/lib/python2.6/' (and
'/usr/lib64/python26 if you have a x86_64 box).

$ echo $PYTHONPATH
     # This env variable is passed to python to modify the sys.path (mentioned
above) at runtime. This should ideally not exist if you don't do any python
development yourself.

Let us know what you find,
cheers,
- steve