input/output error on disk(?)

charles zeitler cfzeitler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 07:03:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Tony Nelson
<tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:

>> > done. 'current_pending' reduced to 1.
>> > trying a long test...
>>
>> done. still showing the 'read failure', on the same block,
>> with 90% unchecked...
>>
>> i'll try to work out something to check bad dir files...
>
> Or maybe back up and restore, possibly with the manufacturer's low-
> level format in between?
>
> I wouldn't expect fsck to succeed if there were a bad dir file.

u huh. well , apparently, the block that's causing the 'read failure' isn't
being used by a (normal) file... but, i'm planning on an upgrade anyways,
that'll be an opportunity  to clean things up.

thanks for guiding me in the use of smartctl & /dev/zero. stuff i'll
probably need again.

--
  charles zeitler
    Do What Thou Wilt