newbie help with setting up fedora 11 to use fog

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Tue Oct 20 15:41:35 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 14:45:55 Melissa Bougor wrote:
> Thanks for your help fog is a cloning program that makes images of
> different machines. I will get you the instructions I have and send them.
> here is the website for fog. www.fogproject.org I have tryed the su - and
> it gets me to root but when I download the fog program it doesn't download
> it just does nothing but if I download to my download folder it works but
> that is not what the instructions say to do. So I assume it is not
> downloading to the right place. I watched a video on one of the websites
> about fedora and it says to hit ctl, alt f2 and that will also get you into
> root I tried that also. So I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

By default you can't login to root using the GUI on Fedora-11. Here's what to
do to "fix" that.

1.  Log is an an ordinary user

2.   su -
      switch user to root with root's environment

3.  edit /etc/pam.d/gdm

     repalce the following line near the top

     auth       required    pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet

     with

     auth       required    pam_succeed_if.so

4.  edit /etc/pam.d/gdm-password

    repalce the following line near the top

    auth        required      pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet

   with

    auth        required      pam_succeed_if.so

Now log out and you should be able to log back in as root.

Tony

 >>> Ed Landaveri <landaveri at inbox.com> 10/19/2009 6:25 PM >>>
>
> Mellisa,
> as advised do 'su -' and follow the instructions on installing fog BTW what
> is 'fog'? If you have doubts about not being root type in 'whoami'
> (remember NOT to type in the quotes) Let me know what is fog and if have
> the instructions send it to me. It is an rpm installation or you do unpack
> a *.tar.bz or gz file on /opt and proceed with the install scripts.

> |E|d|u|a|r|d|o| |L|a|n|d|a|v|e|r|i|

> |G|N|U|-|L|i|n|u|x| |U|s|e|r| |4|3|3|5|1|2|

Dept. of Comp. Sci.
University of Limerick.