Selinux Hates Samsung CLX3175FN Printer

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 21 18:56:10 UTC 2009

On 10/21/2009 02:18 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> FC11/KDE
>>
>> Samsung has a very good printer in the CLX3175FN Lazer , I picked up
>> for $250.00 at OfficeMax, a $400.00 printer.
>>
>> Anyhow You can get the printer drivers for Linux on their Support Site.
>> When installing the print drivers you have to do it from su - .
>> Selinux won't let the printer to print until you do a  "touch
>> /.autorelabel" and reboot computer.
>>
>> Then you can print, but you still get Selinux complaining about a
>> file here and there for the printer that requires a "restorecon -R -v" .
>>
>> Why doesn't Selinux do the proper relabling during when it does
>> /.autorelabel  ??
>
> Because the policy doesn't know what ruddy files were installed by the
> Samsung driver.  There is no way for the distro to predict what a third-
> party package is going to install.
>
> The better question would be "why doesn't Samsung set the proper SELinux
> context for the files it installs?"  THEY know what files they're
> stuffing in, so their installer should set the proper contexts.  I've
> been bitten by this Samsung thing, too (I have a CLP-300 color laser).
> I've also sent them a courteous note regarding this issue.
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks at nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
> -         "If you can't fix it...duct tape it!"  -- Tim Allen        -

To Whom or how did you know to send a letter, that Company is Microsoft
all the way.

My biggest problem installing software was to do a su -  instead of su
When Linux finally does become the Biggy these companies are not even
going to see it coming. They will still have all these Microsoft people
saying we only support $Windows.