sound recording with Fedora 11

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 23 23:29:37 UTC 2009

Kevin Kempter wrote:

> He wants to record some of his band sessions, we tried using 'sound recorder'
> and plugging the output of his mixer into the mic input on the laptop.
>
> It does record but the sound is fuzzy and to say it was poor quality would be
> an over-estimate, since it's there but barely audible.

i have been out of audio systems for a while, and a lot of what i learned
has changed.

most mic inputs were of high impedance as it was cheaper to make a high
impedance mic than a low impedance. today a lot of that has changed and many
mics are now dynamic low impedance.

in 'band music' systems, mixer *line* outputs are of low impedance.

if you are feeding a high impedance input with a low impedance line output,
you can get poor sound quality.

all of which is to say that quality of sound will be determined by what the
laptop has for sound chip and circuitry and not program being used.

if you have a desktop with both *mic* and *line* inputs, try connecting
mixer's line output to each and see if you have get a difference in sound
quality.

i am basing this on fact that years back, in using a creative labs
soundblaster 16, i had a pioneer sx4 stereo tuner connected to it and it
worked very well.

i later built a new system with a creative labs ct2940 and connected sx4 to
it. sound was very poor. in checking for problems, i found that i had plugged
into mic jack and not line jack. changing cleared problem.

also, if you had to make up a cable to connect 1/4" phone jack to 1/8" mini
phone jack, check to make sure no wires are crossed of touching and that you
are using good quality cable with good shielding.

cables like what are used for headsets are not good quality and many are not
well shielded if at all.

hth.

--

peace out.