New scanner/printer combo

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Oct 24 15:13:21 UTC 2009

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:25:00 -0430
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> My HP C5180 works perfectly both for scanning and printing

Yep, I'm afraid the only choice is HP products and hplip
(which has support for virtually all the HP all-in-one
devices, but be sure to check the hplip compatibility
list or you are bound to get the one that happens to
not be supported).

My C5580 was the very first totally hassle free plug & play
experience I had with any usb device more complex than a
memory stick. I plugged it in, the printer definition
appeared, the scanner device appeared, and everything
just worked. (Took me an hour to recover from the shock :-).

The only problems I've had since then are DVD/CD printing
support getting alternately broken and fixed in each new
hplip release - right now I have to boot to my fedora 12
partition to print a DVD (I think - I might not have tested
it since the last f11 hplip update).

The other thing that totally astounds me about HP is they
don't market the linux support. There is no penguin on
the boxes they come in, no mention of linux on the hp
product web sites. You'd think they wouldn't mind the
additional sales they'd get if linux users actually found
out about their support.