When will totem play Apple.com/trailers again?

Andre Costa blueser at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 23:01:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 19:59, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 12:49 -0700, john wendel wrote:

> > > If you mean the TV ads, then that's what I said. If you mean the other
> > > stuff, e.g. http://www.apple.com/imac/the-new-imac/#small then no, and
> > > do have gecko-mediaplayer installed.
> > >
> > > poc
> > >

> > No, I mean the trailers at www.apple.com/trailers. I just player the HD
> > version of the trailer for "Red Cliff". Worked perfectly. I also tried
> > your imac url. It also played (but it was too boring to watch more that
> > 2 minutes of the 7:09).
>
> The movie trailers do work. The Apple promo stuff doesn't (except for
> the TV ads as I said).
>
> > Do you have the full mplayer codec pack installed?
>
> I believe so, but since it's not an RPM I'd have to check the files one
> by one. The latest codecs tarball on the Mplayer site is a couple of
> years old so I doubt that's the problem.

AFAIK you only need to have all the gstreamer-plugins-* packages (and, of
course, their dependencies). Here's what I have:

~ rpm -qa | grep gstreamer-plugins
gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.13-7.fc11.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.15-4.fc11.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.12-2.fc11.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.25-1.fc11.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux-0.10.15-6.fc11.x86_64

(BTW I had to install some of them -- the "ugly" package IIRC -- by hand,
dependencies were not being pulled automatically)

I just replaced totem-mozplugin with gecko-mediaplayer, and trailers are
playing just fine again. This is good because there's a way out after all,
but on the other hand this is bad for totem (and Fedora) since it means that
default installations will fail to play the trailers (question: will this be
the case for F12 as well?), and on the user's eyes it will be one of those
cases where Fedora is "quite not there yet".

I just did some quick searching on Fedora bugzilla to see if this has
already been filed as a totem or totem-mozplugin bug, but did not find
anything. Does anyone know if it's already there? If it's not, developers
have all the reasons not to have addressed it yet... :-(

Andre