rkhunter question

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Oct 25 02:05:28 UTC 2009

Frank Murphy (Frankly3D) wrote:
> On 23/10/09 14:39, François Patte wrote:
>> Frank Murphy (Frankly3D) a écrit :
> --snip--
>>>>
>>> Have you updated any files with yum\PackageKit?
>> Installed new packages with yum.
>>

> If the updateed pkgs names, match the rkhunter changed pkgs.
> That would be your reason.

The argument can be made that rpm upgrade should handle dependencies, and
clearly this isn't happening. I wouldn't dream of suggesting a change in build
procedure at this time, but I think some discussion of updates to the rkhunter
values should happen, and perhaps some new values could be generated. I don't
think having admins deciding when new values are safe is realistic, too many
people don't, won't, or can't do it.

Consider the issue of a bogus package silently changing the rkhunter data
recognized, but if I trust Fedora enough to allow installation of a new kernel,
I'm pretty deeply on board with trusting the install process.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>