Where is VNC, FC11

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun Oct 25 05:39:47 UTC 2009

On 09-10-24 02:30:32, Tait Clarridge wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 00:46 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:

> > > Yes, but I threw the grep -i in there for case insensitivity..
> > > sometimes special packages have a capital letter that yum list
> > > won't get by itself.
> >
> > Are you sure about that?  Give an example where it happens.
> > (Hint.)
>
> Well, I'll be. I guess I am just used to doing it my way. Guess I
> should have tested it before opening my mouth.
> Plus, yum list with wildcards is faster than with grep so I will
> start using that now. Thanks for the clarification.

What surprises me from time to time is that `yum install` does not fold
case.  I know that, and I'm still surprised.

But `yum install` does have the useful ability to install a command by
name:

    # yum install '/*/growisofs'

which is handy if you don't know what package contains the command (or
even where the command will be installed).  The leading slash is
required.

`yum provides` can also find files to install, but the leading "/" is
optional, so both work:

    # yum provides '*/gobject-2.0.pc'
    # yum provides '/*/gobject-2.0.pc'

`yum install` gives a poor guess (here, at least) for that file.