Qemu vs VMWare

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Sun Oct 25 22:20:33 UTC 2009

2009/10/25 Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>:

> * did I miss something obvious to configure, read the docs or whatever, so I'm
> not aware that qemu can work better?

How did you install your virtual machines, and do you have Hardware
Virtualisation support enabled on your chipset?

I use Virt Manager to install guests all the time. That uses KVM as
the virtualisation infrastructure, which in turn uses qemu-kvm as a
backend. My VM performance is roughly equivalent to when I used to use
VMWare Workstation.

So I think (and don't take this the wrong way) that you're probably
doing it all wrong - and that's why your performance is so bad! Qemu
on it's own is Software virtualisation, with absolutely no
acceleration at all - if that's what you are using, I'm not surprised
it sucks ;o)

--
Sam