How to tell IP address of remote machine?

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Oct 25 23:08:42 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Mikkel wrote:
>
>> Using dynamic DNS, you can ssh using the host name instead of the IP
>> address. I have used it both for ssh and openvpn connections to this
>> machine. (I just have to remember to open the firewall before I head
>> out.)
>
> As I mentioned, I am actually using dyndns on this machine.
> I must admit though that I haven't succeeded in combining it
> with a domain I have from EuroDNS,
> though it is clear from the documentation that this is possible.
>
> But as I have said, I prefer openvpn -
> it makes me feel that the machine in Italy is really close to me!
> Also I find it easier to use, eg with KMail/dovecot ,
> though that is probably just a reflection of my knowledge/ignorance.

I guess I am not seeing what one has to do with the other. When I
make an openvpn connection from my laptop back to my home system, I
connect to foo.bar.com where foo.bar.com points to the dynamic IP
address of my home system. I could also use the IP address instead
of the host name. If you have openvpn set up correctly, it does not
care about the IP address, or host name on each end - it just cares
about the encryption keys. I have ssh set up the same way. (You can
try all day with user name/password and not get in.)

Mikkel