compiling modules - HighPoint RAID controller

Robert Hartung rwhart at mchsi.com
Mon Oct 26 02:23:18 UTC 2009

Hi all,
  After repeatedly failing to successfully compile the oss drive
provided by HighPoint technologies for their RocketRAID 2320, I am
questioning my assumptions re: module compilation.  The last time I had
to compile a module, the source was already resident on the machine and
it was done so inconjunction with a kernel recompile before the days of
Fedora releases.

   Assumption 1.  The unpacked code does not have to reside in the
source tree.  e.g. keeping it in a download direction should work okay.

   Assumption 2.  As I am only building one module and not all kernel
modules associated with a kernel recompile, I do not have to go to the
source directories and run 'make' and 'depmod -a' - although I have
tried this also.

The HOW-TO on module building is dated 2006.  Perhaps there is newer
information that I have not been able to find.  I hate to purchase
another raid board to get this project going, but I am not having any luck.

The module rr232x.ko exists after an attempted compile, but after chmod
+x, modprobe rr232x.ko has FATAL errors stating that it is not a module.

? - anyone

Bob